Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
Eden Farms is a pioneering family hydroponic operation, growing a considerable proportion of Australia’s supply of continental cucumbers and mini cucumbers. Located in the Wide Bay-Burnett region of Queensland, the town of Bundaberg is home to the two farms that collectively make up Eden Farms.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Head Grower to join our agricultural management team and be responsible for over 8 hectares of hydroponically grown cucumbers. This position will manage all aspects of crop production with the goal of maximizing yields and establishing a collaborative relationship with our crop care staff and external service providers. The Chief Grower manages and directs a team of crop supervisors, picking crews and farm workers engaged in the cultivation, care and maintenance of the company’s baby and continental cucumbers which are produced for supermarkets and wholesale buyers throughout Australia.
Areas of responsibility:
- Develop cultivation plans, including sowing and transplanting schedules
- Monitor growing conditions and oversee humidity, humidity and temperature changes and cultivation procedures to ensure compliance with quality control standards.
- Appropriate greenhouse control systems and ensure monitoring (PRIVA)
- Monitor plant and fruit development to determine conditions such as leaf texture, size, and existence of pests or diseases; cull inferior or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
- Determine the doses of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides according to crop needs and apply them and/or direct their application.
- Maintain inventory of growing supplies such as fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
- Plan the work of staff and assignments; maintains personnel files and contributes to performance appraisals.
- Train employees in cultivation techniques and activities.
- Maintain a clean and healthy work environment for culture and employees
- Ensure timely sanitation and maintenance of greenhouse facilities
- Commitment to our food safety program
- Evaluation of research and capital projects
- Anticipate and manage the unexpected
- Assist the General Manager in other assigned tasks
- Minimum of 3 years degree in an agriculture-related field (crop science, etc.) or more than 3 years of experience in a similar field.
- Direct experience in horticulture, commercial greenhouse experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience in plant fertility, pest and disease management.
- Computer literacy and experience with greenhouse control systems
- Experience in personnel management and good organization
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills
- Ability to manage a variable work schedule around crop needs
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, use and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Love the challenges of growth
- Motivated to continuously improve and add value
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide solutions
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate issues by being mindful of the little things that make a big difference
- Desire to be upright, which impacts healthy plant growth
- Enjoy working with people and being part of a long-term healthy culture
Please submit your cover letter and CV to Jeremy Browne (Managing Director) at [email protected]